PAGES FOR THIS SITE

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Don't Throw Away That Little Bit of History!! (a scrounging collage artist's battle cry!)

Hard for me to throw away any beautiful bits from the past.... I have several boxes of things that have fallen apart (books) or not been finished (needlework) or discarded envelopes, illustrations, and bits of paper ephemera...Oh yes...buttons, bits of cloth...need I say more?  Each one tells me stories and I think if this bit has survived this long to see the light of day, it deserves to be seen and enjoyed. (LOL my mission statement as a collage artist!!)

This collage uses an old book cover (inside lining paper showing), and old letter on which I hand inked a flourish from a stencil I cut, very old tatting remnants, antique button, very old pen and ink illustration placed on an old paper frame--so much history in such tiny bits. Collages like this take a long time for me to do. I often spend down time just sorting through things until something catches my eye....

2 comments:

  1. It's really great! It's really hard to throw away any beautiful bits from the past. And I'm trying to understand strategies of saving. It's subject of my dissertation. Why and what people add to the things to save them from indifference and oblivion? What do you think, Cheryl? Love? Creativity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Love is closer to the spark, than creativity Victoria. what a very interested dissertation. LOL we could have such a long conversation about this!!! Thanks for leaving a comment. :-)

      Delete

Your comments are important for me. I have changed the comment form so that you do not have to sign in with any particular ID, and you can also remain anonymous. Hope to hear from you!!! :-)